I believe in the way of an older law, when we used to dance to a different drum. And we are changing our ways, yes we are taking different roads. Tell me of the Forest you once called Home. - Dead Can Dance "Tell me of the Forest"
Come, faeries, take me out of this dull world, for I would ride with you upon the wind and dance upon the mountains like a flame. - W.B. Yeats
You might be otherkin if...
A. Physical Characteristics and Remnants of Former Bodies/Lives
- * You miss a place, yet cannot explain where it is. *
- You find it very frustrating that you can't breathe under water or fly.
- * You have "phantom" body parts that you can feel move, and that sometimes become really annoying with clothes (fur, wings, claws...). *
- Your doctor cant figure out how you damaged your back to start with, but you dont really want to tell hir its a battle injury from a previous life.
- You have the occasional really annoying itch on your back, right where your wings would be at.
- You are always the first one to hear something in the distance (ie: approaching car, person, storm...).
- You have naturally dilated pupils, or see very well in the dark.
- You have bright green or violet eyes, or eyes with multiple colours in them, or that change color.
- * The "you" you see in the mirror and the physical shell experienced by other people are entirely different entities. *
- You find yourself unable to develop an addiction - after a certain point, certain substances stop affecting you entirely. This is most bothersome when it's much-needed prescription medication.
B. Personality Characteristics, Perceptions and Habits
- * You don't consider yourself really human. *
- Your creativity (of whatever persuasion) consumes you to the point of eccentricity.
- You know, see, and feel a deeper depth of existence than the visible world around us.
- * The woods, glens, etc. speak to you and call you to come join them. *
- You have a deeper understanding and viewpoint of the cycle of life and death than many people do.
- You remember your dreams with more detail, clarity and relevance than your waking moments.
- * Dance, music, art are not luxuries, peripheral experiences or mere entertainment, but physical needs. *
- Linear thought is a problem, and linear time an even greater one.
- * The books that speak the greatest Truths to you are found in the Fantasy/SF section. *
- * Your best friends are nymphs, pixies, and fairies. *
- You think trees or holes in the ground are a great places to live.
- * You catch yourself referring to David Bowie as "cousin." *
- You can sleep on the floor, ground or a wood bed, but not a metal frame bed.
- You are the definition of "weird".
- You love to hide in natural places when emotionally or otherwise upset.
- * You can actually speak Tolkien Elvish, and it feels like your mother tongue. *
- The weather and your moods have more than a coincidental link.
- You write such good stories cause they arent stories... its all real.
- You feel youd have done much better a few hundred years back. Living History not only describes your favorite activity, it describes you.
- You have an obesession with honor most people just dont understand.
- You've been in or almost caused a car accident because you were distracted by the sunset, sunrise, rainbow, moon, stars, lightning, and/or interesting cloud formations.
- You bore very easily.
- You get downright pissed when people harm animals or plants or destroy the environment.
- As a child you always knew where to find the berries in the woods.
- You are fascinated with language, linguistics, theology, anthropology, slang, subculture and the madness of crowds.
- Your personality changes outright depending on the clothing you wear. That includes a mixed personality if you mix two kinds of clothing.
- * You always go for things in silver rather than gold, bronze, etc. *
C. Interactions With the "Mundanes"
- * Human language just isn't enough to FULLY convey what you are trying to say. You feel telepathy, empathy, and visual sendings make up most of your languge and you often tend to use these more than spoken words, much to the dismay of those around you. *
- Your friends and family have always thought of you as "different".
- You never quite see things from the same point of view as your mundane friends.
- Your mundane friends never quite get your sense of humor.
- Mundanes think you are eccentric, very intelligent or crazy, but you think that you are normal and they are the ones who are odd.
- * You have actually answered elf, dragon, fae, pixie, werewolf, etc. under the "Race" section of surveys or when asked by telemarketers. *
- Your friend's cat, who hates EVERYONE including your friend, loves you.
- People either love you or hate you and you cannot figure out why.
- Animals and trees are better friends to you than most mundanes.
- * You feel horrible if you have to act human, and weird things happen to you when you try. *
- * When you havent slept for a few nights running, havent eaten, dont feel pain, etc., the standard explanation from your friends is "but we all know youre not human..."
...before you've even told them what you really are. *
- You attract the strangest people. They seem to congregate around you as if attracted by some pheremone only they can perceive.
- People's professed personalities and beliefs cause you to break out in peals of laughter at socially inappropriate times.
- People often ask you if you are on drugs.
- * Hospitals, most schools, government buildings, and large, impersonal corporations either depress you to the point of tears or trigger panic attacks. *
- D. Magic, Psi and Strange Occurrences
- You think nothing of adjusting your energy to a Peace signature to calm down someone who's agitated. (Fun with glamour, folks!)
- When you don't want to be noticed, you can be wearing three-inch spikes and a mohawk, and people walk past you, oblivious.
- * You catch glimpses of an alternate reality superimposed or side-by-side with mundane reality. When you're half asleep and half awake, the worlds tend to blur and you can see numerous realities existing at once. *
- There are too many synchronicities happening to pass them all off as coincidence.
- Small children run up to you and point out the nice lady with pointy ears or the big furry man or the dragon.
- * Grown people run up to you and nervously ask you if you've ever thought of yourself as "elf-like" or "dragon-like," or just get positively freaked out being near you.
- You start "bleeding over" in pictures. *
- People are spooked when you walked up behind them and they never heard you coming. You move so silently that you can even sneak up on a police dog without it noticing you.
- You sense spirits residing within rocks, trees, waters, buildings, mechanical objects, etc., and you converse with them regularly.
- * You "smell" what kind of mood the people around you are in. *
- Sometimes when you see or meet a stranger you see a flash of their True Nature without even trying.
- Energy is one of your favorite toys.
- You don't just dream, you go planet-hopping.
- Time always does weird things around you.
- Your friends use you as the resident antenna for the radio, for it always receives better sound when you stand in front of it.
- You cannot wear watches or other timepieces on your person. If you do, they are rendered completely useless within days and become blithering idiots that have no idea what time it really is anymore.
- You can hear the stars singing.
- You can't ever remember the color of someone's eyes, but you can describe their aura/astral form in detail.
*Some of these really stuck out at me, it was like...wow*
From the Ever Quest Races Page:
Being in tune with nature, wood elves gravitate toward "nature" professions. Their high charisma, dexterity, and agility come in handy for those who hear the call of the muse and become bards. Their admiration and respect for nature allows them to serve as druids, or become rangers. Of course, a strong arm is sometimes needed, so some Fier`Dal become warriors. And, too, it would be such a waste not to put that high dexterity and agility to proper use, so the wood elf makes for a very talented rogue.
Also known as the Koada'Dal, the high elves are much more intellectual than their woodland kin, and are the "royalty" of the elven races (with the exception of their dark brethren). They share the elfin features of their woodland kin, but are taller, and paler in skin.
High elves are very much like the Erudites in their belief that manual labor is beneath them. Sweat and dirt do not combine well with the finicky high elf personality. They prefer the use of magic to muscle. They are a highly intelligent race, which is reflected in their choice of many magic-using professions. For the devout, there is the path of cleric. For the righteous soldier, the path of the paladin is a logical choice. Enchanters, wizards, and magicians hold high places within the ranks of the high elves.
Even though high elves consider themselves the royalty of the elven races, they will not hesitate to join parties with other races who lean toward good. They understand that some sacrifices must be made in order to do what they believe is the right thing. Of course, they still will not hesitate to remind others of their own supremacy.
Half elves, sharing the blood of both humans and elves, share some of the strengths and weaknesses of both races. They most closely resemble humans, except for their slightly pointed ears and sharper facial features. Although scorned by the more closed-minded individuals of their parent races, half elves receive some of the best attributes of both parents. From the elves, they gain the much-valued ability to see clearly in the dark, good agility and good dexterity. From humans they take better strength and stamina. With these abilities, half elves make talented bards, druids, paladins, rangers, rogues, and warriors.
Other races are limited in the places they may begin their lives. Half elves, however, have more options. They can choose to originate from the cities of Qeynos, Freeport, Kelethin, or Felwithe. This benefit helps in establishing half elves throughout the world.
Dark elves (also known as the Teir'Dal) are the evil brethren of the woodland and high elves. Their skin is bluish-black, their hair white, and they share the pointed ears and sharp features of their elven relatives. Due to their life under the earth and dedication to evil gods, they have excellent vision in the dark.
Dark elves are a race filled with hate, created by Innoruuk, the God of Hate himself. They hate all other races, and even their fellow Teir`Dal. Their sole motivation is to please Innoruuk. They will lend aid to one another, but only for their own selfish reasons. "I will help you now to use you later," is a common sentiment.
Being of the elven race, the Teir`Dal have a natural magical ability. This is evident in the professions of enchanter, magician, wizard, and necromancer. With their devotion to Innoruuk, they may also serve him as clerics. For those Teir`Dal who desire to spread hate and death in other ways, they may choose to become rogues, warriors, or shadowknights.
A suggested list of Music Artists for Otherkin
Dead Can Dance
Faith and the Muse
Syd's Pink Floyd
James Galway of the Chieftains
Ed Van Fleet
Ani di Franco
Sisters of Mercy
Blue Oyster Cult
The Medieval Baebes
The Levellers, "Sell-Out"
Jim Steinman, "Lost Boys & Golden Girls"
KISS, "World Without Heroes"
Siouxsie & the Banshees, "Shadowtime"
Queen, "Who Wants to Live Forever?" from A Kind of Magic
Jethro Tull, Broadsword & the Beast, Songs from the Wood
Rush, "Rivendel" from Fly By Night
Dio, Sacred Heart, Dream Evil, Holy Diver
Heart, "Sylvan Song", "Dream of the Archer" from Little Queen; "These Dreams"
Dream Theatre, "Scenes From a Memory"
-from Elven Realities
I heard a voice among the trees, singing softly in the night
A song of ages gone before, yet reaching to a distant star
The voice came floating on the breeze, and danced between the Dark and Light
From water's edge on River's shore, it sang of lands now lost afar.
Following this elven song, I made my way into the wood
And listened to the River flow, its song entwined with music fae
I found the way both steep and long, but nonetheless my pace was good
And swiftly toward the voice did go, until I knew I'd lost my way.
Upon my path I walked steadfast, no matter that I knew not where
And as the singer's voice grew near, ever faster was my pace!
Through the veil of trees I passed, and saw before me one so fair
His face was free from hate or fear, and where he walked, he left no trace.
His golden hair fell to his belt, his golden bow he carried high
And from his mouth a song did come, that spoke of realms beyond these lands
His song made many walls to melt, and caused my Spirit far to fly
I saw that I'd been truly numb, and joy had fled by my own hands
"By Silver Wind, By Starlight's Flame, By River Swift, By Ancient Tree
Though my way be long indeed, though mired I be in Earthen sand
Let me not forget my Name, let me always clearly See
Let me help my Friends in need, and let me find my Elven Land
*(I was sent this.....don't know to who it belongs)